• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What a mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tazmann007

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

The title says it all! I guess being in business for yourself requires some hard lessons along the way!

Thanks for the advice BEFORE you give it!

I run a small B&B in NH and arranged to have a Dog Sled musher provide rides from here for the winter; this was our 2nd winter working together. His business is not registered anywhere that I know of (DBA I guess) and he resides in Mass., my question has a couple parts at least for now:

He is claiming to be owed $ obviously, and is threaten suit. I paid him everything I calculated for his services. He insists that our agreed "package price" which included the rooms tax is not coming out of his portion, on a couple of the tours we agreed to split expenses and profits and now he wants me to absorb all of the rooms tax which was paid monthly to the state (has to be). Doesn't a package indicate all inclusive to you he was asked - This is exactly how it was advertised.

He calls at all hours (I mean all hours - 8 calls on 5/9 between 10:30pm and 4am) of the day and night, sent so many emails that I had to place him on my spam filter list. He is now contacting others and "making them aware" of my bad business practices, he called a company out in MN just last week that I am just formalizing a working relationship with this coming Sept., and now they have concerns but doubts about his comments as well, can not blame them really we've never meet in person.

All client payments where processed (credit cards mostly - he cannot accept CC's) through my business, a NH registered LLC. As well ALL clients came here to NH for their service and stay. Question here is, if he is allowed to file in Mass can I fight the point that it should be a NH case in my county. Should I bother, this just drags it out and keeps him on my ToDo list, which is already to long!

If, I have to go to Mass. I will but what is my obligation to pay even if the nut does prevail?

Any thoughts, I am not even sure if I can file a restraining order, is it appropriate?

SincerelyWhat is the name of your state?

tazmann007

someone please advise?

I did get myself into a mess, and suspect that I will be receiving paperwork soon. Does this belong in another section? It is less than $1K dollars he is claim but he is crazy, I have all the sales slips.

Thank you

Ozark_Sophist

Visit with a local attorney to draft a letter to the musher. The letter should clearly state the musher was paid in full for his services, and continued defamation or harassment on his part will result in legal action.

The couple hundred dollars for the attorney will be worth it.

If the musher is still calling your house at night, call the police to report him for harassment. Get it documented.

tazmann007

Thanks Ozark_Sophist

I was thinking that a chat with the lawyer was in order, of course being that he is threatening court action I am thinking he will need to go small claims.

Still not sure if it needs to be MA or NH, as stated before all business was conducted here and I processed all client payments - Mostly CC's.

If, MA allows him to file to I rebutt with my opinion that it should be heard in NH? One of his biggest issues is the payment of NH rooms tax, he insists that his portion of the payments was never suppose to cover rooms tax, back to the package pricing.

Respectfully -

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">