• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of stolen property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BT16742

What is the name of your state? AZ

I am facing charges of possession of stolen property--a bike that I bought from a homeless man for $20.00. During the questioning by university campus police, the officer asked if I knew the bike was stolen when I made the transction--I relied that common sense would suggest that it was and I ultimaly repled yes I did. Honelsy, I thought I was just being compliant and my response was an "after the event" response and during police questioning in which she stated that I was not under arrest. In retrosepect, I really did not give it any thought when I gave the homeless man the $20.00. Once she heard that I knowningly bought stolen property I was handcuffed and placed in the police car for continued questioning. I understand that the penalties for this charge depend on the value of the property. Am I facing jail time and should I attain an attorney?

Ozark_Sophist

I would advise you to retain an attorney to mitigate damages depending on the value of the bicycle to avoid a criminal record.

In the future, don't buy stolen goods. Common sense should tell you that.

BT16742

stolen property

It wasn't about the bike initally--I felt sorry for this homeless sick drunk and was caught in the moment. Of course I realize the whole situation is--let's say--totally irresponsible and lacks the properties of thinking that it just might be a really bad idea. Big dah! It doesn't change the fact that it is what it is now--a huge blunder. I will meet with an attorney this week--can I have a do-over?

Thank you for the feedback.

FlyingRon

Next time just give the bum the cash and let him keep the bicycle.

If that thing has a value over $300 (or whatever) you've just admitted to the police that you committed a felony. Even if you don't go to jail, that's not something you want on your record.

Get thyself to a lawyer quickly and stop talking without his advice.

Cops during questioning will tell you you are not under arrest and free to go because they can ask you things more casually and do not have to inform you as to your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">