• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalryem

What is the name of your state? Maine
I am currently married, will be 12 years this June. I have 2 children ages 4 and 11. I feel that I am no longer in love with my husband and am considering a separation/divorce. My concern is that I have been a stay at home mom since my youngest child was born in 2004. We have a mortgage and 2 vehicles that we are paying on. If we separated I would want to keep the house because this is the childrens home that is what they are used to and secondly the land the house is on was given to me by my parents. The land is now in both mine and my husbands name. I am just wondering would I have to pay my husband half of what the house/land are worth? I am already worried that I would not be able to make the mortgage payment at what it currently is but I definetly wouldn't be able to if I had to buy him out. My fear is that I would not make enough money to pay for the house and everything that goes with it so I feel stuck some times. Do I stay in a relationship that I am truly not happy in because I'm afraid I can't make it on my own or do I go out on my own and possibly lose my home because I can't pay for? It's so stressful I don't even know where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Maine
I am currently married, will be 12 years this June. I have 2 children ages 4 and 11. I feel that I am no longer in love with my husband and am considering a separation/divorce. My concern is that I have been a stay at home mom since my youngest child was born in 2004. We have a mortgage and 2 vehicles that we are paying on. If we separated I would want to keep the house because this is the childrens home that is what they are used to and secondly the land the house is on was given to me by my parents. The land is now in both mine and my husbands name. I am just wondering would I have to pay my husband half of what the house/land are worth? I am already worried that I would not be able to make the mortgage payment at what it currently is but I definetly wouldn't be able to if I had to buy him out. My fear is that I would not make enough money to pay for the house and everything that goes with it so I feel stuck some times. Do I stay in a relationship that I am truly not happy in because I'm afraid I can't make it on my own or do I go out on my own and possibly lose my home because I can't pay for? It's so stressful I don't even know where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you can't negotiate your way into keeping the house, then let it go.
Google property division in your state.

nextwife

If you have only been out of the workforce since 04, expect to need to return to work. The child is old enouigh, and it is unlikley, after being a one income family for such a short period, that STBX will be required to support you for very long. The child will be attending school soon anyway, at least pre-K.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">