• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assuming ex's debt/Simplified Dissolution of Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrposton

What is the name of your state? Florida/Colorado

my ex and i were married about 2 1/2 years ago in florida. it didn't work, and after being seperated for 2 years, we've decided to make it official. from what i've been told, we still qualify for a simplified dissolution of marriage because she is still a resident of florida(i have since moved to colorado). we've already divided up all our property, and there are no kids involved. the only thing we are questioning is there is a lot of debt in both of our names(and some just in hers) that i need to assume. how can this be done. and is it possible to do this without getting lawyers involved. neither of us want to make this process any more trying than it already is, and we are hoping to make this as inexpensive as possible.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Florida/Colorado

my ex and i were married about 2 1/2 years ago in florida. it didn't work, and after being seperated for 2 years, we've decided to make it official. from what i've been told, we still qualify for a simplified dissolution of marriage because she is still a resident of florida(i have since moved to colorado). we've already divided up all our property, and there are no kids involved. the only thing we are questioning is there is a lot of debt in both of our names(and some just in hers) that i need to assume. how can this be done. and is it possible to do this without getting lawyers involved. neither of us want to make this process any more trying than it already is, and we are hoping to make this as inexpensive as possible.
WHY would you assume ALL the debts???

nextwife

WHY would you assume ALL the debts???
Uh, I agree.

WHAT? Why shouldn't SHE bear equal responsibility for her own debts? Women are not incapable,incompetent creatures that need to have some guy take care of everything for them. Jt debts = Jt responsibilities.

jrposton

i am assuming all her debts that i accrued in her name. she has more debt that i have nothing to do with that i won't be assuming. part of the reason for the divorce is my lying to her about our financial situation and not paying any of the bills that we had. it's mainly small things, like cable, cell phone, and water bills as well as a joint bank account that i overdrew. she shouldn't have to pay for my screwups, just her own...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">