• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living arrangements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmw1960

FLORIDA

Background info:
The house we live in is only in my husband's name. He purchased it before we got married and my name was never put on the deed. I have no illusions that I will "get" the house, nor do I want it. I also am not trying to get alimony, although I wouldn't refuse it.

We have no children together. We've been married almost 15 years. We have been separated more than once and we have tried couples therapy more than once.

You have no idea what living with this man has done to me. There has been no physical abuse, but sometimes the emotional abuse can be just as bad. Because of this, I am desperate to get enough of a settlement to make up for the wasted 15 years of my life and the trampled self esteem if that amount even exists. I tried so hard for so many years to try and find a way to live with him and be happy. It's just not possible.

I am leaving a marriage and going into a world where I have no home, no money to speak of and will have to go through the stress of uprooting my entire life and starting over somewhere else. It seems unfair that I married someone who I feel like was suppose to take care of me, but instead I'm being forced out of my home and into a life of uncertainty. I'm sure many many women have gone through the same thing. Maybe some men, too.

My Question right now:
Obviously I would be the one to move out since my name is not on the house. Would it harm my case if I got an apartment and completely supported myself, or would I be better off moving in with my mom? By this I mean will it look like I'm doing fine on my own if I have an apartment and supporting myself and don't "need" as much of a settlement?

Please don't judge me. I'm trying to salvage some of my self esteem. Thank you.

TinkerBelleLuvr

You are entitlted to half the accumulated assets & bills during the marriage. There won't be as much equity in the house because of the downturn in the market these days.

kmw1960

Living Arrangements

Thank you for the response, but my question was does it matter, in regards to the settlement, whether I get an apartment and support myself or go live with my mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">