• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can he fake it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncalled4

What is the name of your state? MI

OK, I'm wondering if my husband can make me believe that he doesn't have a lawyer and then surprise me in court, loaded with an entirely different set of demands?

Is there any way to know what he is asking for before court?

We are talking about trying to figure as much as we can out without a lawyer and then just getting one to look things over before we go to court. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I cant really grasp where he stands. So, I'm really little worried. I don't want to be paranoid. But, I don't want to pay for being too trusting.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will know from your paperwork if he is "represented". He can always consult with an attorney and, yes, he can show up in court with his new attorney representing him. New demands? If he has new demands, he'd be able to make them with or without an attorney.

I suggest you get an attorney of your own.

uncalled4

I'm so afraid that if I do get a lawyer then he's going to think that I'm trying to get nasty with me and get nasty himself. But, I guess that I'd better be safe.

This sucks.

Do lawyers usually make you pay upfront? Do you typically make payments? How does that work? I have no extra money besides for food, rent etc. I don't know how people do this.

This sucks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you will (in almost all cases) need to provide some sort of payment up front. Call around - you might find someone to take payments...

LdiJ

Yes, you will (in almost all cases) need to provide some sort of payment up front. Call around - you might find someone to take payments...
Or, if you are going to end up with cash after the divorce, from the property settlement, then talk to your family about lending you the money for an attorney.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? MI

OK, I'm wondering if my husband can make me believe that he doesn't have a lawyer and then surprise me in court, loaded with an entirely different set of demands?

Is there any way to know what he is asking for before court?

We are talking about trying to figure as much as we can out without a lawyer and then just getting one to look things over before we go to court. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. I cant really grasp where he stands. So, I'm really little worried. I don't want to be paranoid. But, I don't want to pay for being too trusting.
Of course he can do this. However, this tactic is usually used by wives. I suggest you consult with some of your more successful divorced women for further details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">