• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will inheritance law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrssycats

What is the name of your state? georgia

My husband is named in a will in NJ. Does he have the right ot know exactly how much the deceased was worth and what bills she left behind? Also his brother pre-deceased and was named in the will. What happens to his share if not specifically stated in the will?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

He can start by contacting the county courthouse probate court/surrogate court to ask for a copy of the will if he has not done so already. He does not automatically become entitled to knowing how much the decedent was worth OR what bills he had, but after the probate process is finished that information may be put into the probate file if he wants to look at it or if he is close to the executor he can ask the executor.

chrssycats

Will inheritance

Don, Thank you for your advice on this question. I am new to this website!
May i ask about his brothers share? The executor stated that it will be divided equally amongst the remaining people(my husband included). Would that be the case?
Also if I may-- which inheritance tax do we pay? NJ where she and we used to live or GA tax where we now permantly reside?
I most thank you for all your help!
chrssycats

anteater

You don't explicitly say, but I am guessing this is your husband's mother?

New Jersey inheritance tax would be applicable. However, if it is his mother's estate, there would be no inheritance tax since children are considered Class A beneficiaries and Class A beneficiaries are exempt.

NJ also has an extate tax, but that only kicks in if the value of the estate exceeds $675,000.

seniorjudge

Don, Thank you for your advice on this question. I am new to this website!
May i ask about his brothers share? The executor stated that it will be divided equally amongst the remaining people(my husband included). Would that be the case?
Also if I may-- which inheritance tax do we pay? NJ where she and we used to live or GA tax where we now permantly reside?
I most thank you for all your help!
chrssycats
What does the will say?

chrssycats

ant and don:
The will states that he as well his brother(now deceased) and a few others each to receive 8% of her total estate. We have not received a copy yet but expect to in the next several weeks as well as some advance on the inheritance.

As far as who's will it is his great aunt's.
Thank you all in advance.

chrssycats

nextwife

ant and don:
The will states that he as well his brother(now deceased) and a few others each to receive 8% of her total estate. We have not received a copy yet but expect to in the next several weeks as well as some advance on the inheritance.

As far as who's will it is his great aunt's.
Thank you all in advance.

chrssycats
They really should NOT be disbursing estate assets until sufficient opportunity to recieve and know all the estate debts/expenses occurs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">