• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do with my Mothers house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just17

What is the name of your state? Callifornia. My Mother died in December 2007. She had created a Living Trust many years ago naming my brother and sisters as the beneficiaries. There are really no sizable assets save the house. Because her health had declined severely, my brother quit his job so he could care for her, and has lived with her the last six years. He has no plan to return to work as he will be 59 soon and plan to live on his 401K. My sisters and I agreed that he could remain in the house permanently as we all own a home and have no need to sell it. My parents bought the house in 1962 and have very low property taxes because of Prop 13. Since my Mother has died do we need to do anything with the house. There was no requirement that we sell the house upon her death. The house was deeded to the trust. Do we have to redo the title in each of our names? Is this required? Does this mean that each of us would be paying property taxes for the house?

tecate

Why would you not want to clear title now? My guess it is easier to do now rather than later.

Who is the successor trustee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">