• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a house after separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akhilesh

What is the name of your state? CA

I filed for divorce and got separation in early 2006. However, my divorce is not finalized yet.

I am planning to buy a house now. If I buy the house, can me (ex)wife claim half of it during the settlement. The money for the downpayment will come from a loan on my 401(K) money. She had almost the same amount of money in her 401(K) when we separated. I know that she would not sign "quite claim".

My question is that if I buy the house in my name, can she claim half of it at a later date.

VeronicaLodge

i dont think so as you are already seperated and divorced has been filed and she wouldnt be living there so it wont be the "marital residence" however, it would be best to finalize the divorce first, why is it taking so long? its 2008 already and almost halfway through that!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">