• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ungrateful Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Toni47

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi, I was in a common-law relationship from 1996 to 2003. I never tried to get any compensation from him. I was asked to leave my long term employment to be with him and did not work during that period of time. After the break-up I went back to work and have not had the same pay that I was making before I lived with him. What are my rights? And is there a time frame to file? I have been stuggling to make ends meet ever since. I was working at a local newpaper before and could not go back there because he was there. I have tried other newspapers in the area but have had no luck. I had a nice townhome that my ex let me live in but he recently sold it. Again, do I still have any rights? What is the name of your state? Texas

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hi, I was in a common-law relationship from 1996 to 2003. I never tried to get any compensation from him. I was asked to leave my long term employment to be with him and did not work during that period of time. After the break-up I went back to work and have not had the same pay that I was making before I lived with him. What are my rights? And is there a time frame to file? I have been stuggling to make ends meet ever since. I was working at a local newpaper before and could not go back there because he was there. I have tried other newspapers in the area but have had no luck. I had a nice townhome that my ex let me live in but he recently sold it. Again, do I still have any rights? What is the name of your state? Texas
If I remember correctly, in TX, in order to have standing to try to assert a common law marriage, you must file suit within two years of the end of the relationship. If you broke up in 2003, you are long past the two year mark.

However, do get a consult with a local attorney to confirm that.

Silverplum

Compensation?

For what??? :eek:

mommyof4

Compensation?

For what??? :eek:
You had to ask?!!

On a different note...

OP did your relationship meet all of the legal requirements to be considered a true common law marriage? Just living together for a few years doesn't get it.

If your relationship did not, he has nothing to be grateful or ungrateful about. You would have never had any legal claim to any support, property, etc.

Silverplum

You had to ask?!!
Not really. ;)
mommyof4 said:
On a different note...

OP did your relationship meet all of the legal requirements to be considered a true common law marriage? Just living together for a few years doesn't get it.

If your relationship did not, he has nothing to be grateful or ungrateful about. You would have never had any legal claim to any support, property, etc.
Just to be informational:
http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/living-together/common-law-states(1).html

Texas. If a man and woman in Texas sign a form provided by the county clerk, agree to be married, cohabitate, and represent to others that they are married, a common law marriage exists.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">