• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobsalas

What is the name of your state? OR

Just filed and won a small claims case by default.
Now the problem is filing a judgment request.
In oregon you have to prove that the default party is not a member of the armed forces.
To do this you have to go to a website and input his name and DOB and social security number. How the heck do you get his social security number?
I can see the need to protect service members who are overseas fighting for us, but now we have every dead beat hiding behind this law.
How am I supposed to get this information?
How do others? The court says they can't help me.

Dandy Don

It's very odd that they would make that requirement since Social Security Numbers are increasingly restricted from the public to prevent identity theft. Please mention where this requirement is or who gave it to you. It's almost impossible to comply with.

Please describe the web address of the website you mentioned.

There are probably other websites available where you could check (called military locator) if you know what specific branch they belong to, such as army, navy, marine corps, etc. but you need to try to find out if there is another way to fulfill this requrement without a Social Security Number.

OP,

You've run up against a very common requirement in many courts across the nation. The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act requires proof that the member of the armed services has been served and is can respond, amongst other requirements. There are several websites that report on the status of members of the armed forces, and a social security number is required. Because the Act is primarily intended for credit card/foreclosure issues, most creditors have the social security number.

In addition, most practioners request social security numbers as part of discovery, so that information should be available during litigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">