• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce with name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katmama

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I live in Oregon. My husband lives in Vancouver, BC, Canada. He's taking care of filing for our uncontested divorce. Here are my questions:

1. Will the divorce be recognized in Oregon and the rest of the United States?

2. If the divorce goes through with my name changed back to my maiden name, will I be required to use it if I choose not to? If using the changed name is mandatory, how long do I have to get all my ID, etc., changed?

3. Can I have my name changed to my maiden name, but spell it differently?

Thanks!
Kathy

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The name change would depend on Canadian law. Using your official legal name in the US would be required on official documents.

ntpwwjd1

CO - I had a divorce with name change**************.as far as I know you can change your name back to your maiden name when you feel like it but with the original spelling. Changing the spelling of your maiden name would require for you to file extra papers in court for a legal name change regardless of divorce/maiden name. I didnt change my name back till 2 years after the divorce and as long as you have a copy of your divorce papers your are good to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">