• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Rights and Adoption in Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autidawn

What is the name of your state?
Tennessee - Anderson County

The bio father is willing to terminate his rights and my husband is willing to adopt. The biological father still owes back child support to me and the state. My husband is in Afghanistan but I'm his POA.

I have heard I can do all this on my own without hiring a lawyer but I don't know how to go about doing so.

We already drew up an agreement order stating that I could relocate (husband in military) but the judge denied it because I hadn't petitioned the court and custody hasn't ever been determined for the child. They said that to petition the court cost 130 dollars to do but I've been told that those fee's can be waived?

I'm desperate for help and on a short time frame because we are due to relocate in August/September.

Thanks

Silverplum

What is the name of your state?
Tennessee - Anderson County

The bio father is willing to terminate his rights and my husband is willing to adopt. The biological father still owes back child support to me and the state. My husband is in Afghanistan but I'm his POA.
Okay.
autidawn said:
I have heard I can do all this on my own without hiring a lawyer but I don't know how to go about doing so.
I can't imagine anyone knowledgeable telling you that. Your sentence above shows exactly why you can't: you don't know how. ALL adoptions NEED an attorney -- there's too many details and too much at stake to do it by yourself.
autidawn said:
We already drew up an agreement order stating that I could relocate (husband in military) but the judge denied it because I hadn't petitioned the court and custody hasn't ever been determined for the child.
More reason and proof that you need an attorney.
autidawn said:
They said that to petition the court cost 130 dollars to do but I've been told that those fee's can be waived?
"Told" by the same know-nots that "told" you that you didn't need an attorney for this major legal project?? ;)
autidawn said:
I'm desperate for help and on a short time frame because we are due to relocate in August/September.
Thanks
I'd advise you right now to give up your "timeframe" issues. You aren't going to MAKE the Court do anything in your timeframe. It all happens in the Court's timeframe.

HIRE an attorney.

mommyof4

I read this:

as you could TPR and push the adoption through without legal counsel AND without your husband present. POA so does not give you that right.

As you have been told, you NEED an atty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">