• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estranged Family on SSDI - Finding Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllSussedOut

What is the name of your state? Texas

How to say this without sounding completely awful?

My beloved grandfather, the nicest man you could ever meet, married someone towards the end of his life who could best be characterized as... um... "difficult."

'Nuff said.

Anyway, after he passed away, she left my family's lives altogether, and wound up halfway across the country. After a cursory search on the Social Security Death Index (SSDI) site for the first time in years... I found out that she passed away, and less than a year ago.

As no one in our family is really in touch with her anymore for a variety of reasons... is there a way that we can learn of the existence of her will, be it from SSDI information or otherwise? Our knowledge of her apart from this is fairly scant, and my guess is that if my family was mentioned in the will, we would have heard by now, but... I suppose there's always the chance that things have slipped through cracks.

Would anyone be kind enough as to offer guidance? Evidently, she passed away in Texas after spending most of her later years in New York.

Thanks for any and all help!

David

Dandy Don

Since you know the city she died in, check for online county courthouse records for the applicable county to see if anyone filed probate for her. But in view of the "difficult" relationiship she had with you all, it's a mystery why you think she would love people that are not her own children enough to leave them something in her will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">