• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio -- molestation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hsstudent

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

A seventeen-year-old girl was molested by her uncle when she was eight, nine, and ten (maybe more, but ten was the last) but never told anyone except for a teenaged cousin and a ten-year-old friend. Since then, she's told a few friends but no one in her family.

The uncle was charged with the molestation of two young non-related boys and was imprisoned for two+ years. He's either free or on parole right now, not sure, but he's harrassing her and generally terrifying her; he tried to attack her again but has had a very bad limp since prison and couldn't get past the dresser she placed in front of the door. Again, no one in her family knows.

I think that the number of years you can wait before charging someone with something is four here, but is there any way that she could possibly make a case?

And sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

A seventeen-year-old girl was molested by her uncle when she was eight, nine, and ten (maybe more, but ten was the last) but never told anyone except for a teenaged cousin and a ten-year-old friend. Since then, she's told a few friends but no one in her family.

The uncle was charged with the molestation of two young non-related boys and was imprisoned for two+ years. He's either free or on parole right now, not sure, but he's harrassing her and generally terrifying her; he tried to attack her again but has had a very bad limp since prison and couldn't get past the dresser she placed in front of the door. Again, no one in her family knows.

I think that the number of years you can wait before charging someone with something is four here, but is there any way that she could possibly make a case?

And sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Your friend NEEDS to tell her parents. NOW!! I believe that the SOL won't start until the girl is 18....But I will ask OhioGal who is an attorney to post and clarify.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
REPORT THIS NOW. The SOL has not run. SHe needs to report the prior incidents as well the most recent attempt. IMMEDIATELY. Have her talk to a school guidance counselor or teacher if nobody else. SHE NEEDS TO REPORT IT!

hsstudent

See, that's the thing -- she's convinced that her mother will get angry if she tells her now because she hadn't told her sooner. She never discusses it (we were good friends for three years before she told me, and that was more due to stress than anything else) so faculty is out of the question, and she comes across as completely well-adjusted. There's no physical evidence outside of the obvious, but she's seventeen so that can hardly be considered proof.

That's why I'm here -- she refuses to do anything until she knows that she can make a case for it. If she says something now and has nothing to help her in court, she's afraid that her family will alienate her or that he'll do something even worse.

So, are there any particular laws or anything that can help her?

And thank you, by the way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">