• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilbunny

What is the name of your state? AL

I filed a police report against my spouse 2 years ago b/c at the time my therapist thought I should, and I thought I was going to leave him. The report was a physical abuse type. Well, we stayed together and we have put our marriage together and he isn't physically abusive to me at all now. When I did the report, he didn't know about it. He wasn't present arrested or charged. I did the report after the fact.

The question: How long is the police report going to stay on file? Can anyone access this information by calling the police department? I don't think it would show up in a criminal background search since he wasn't arrested or charged. Am I correct in assuming this?

CdwJava

Unless the police department releases the information, it should not be discovered.

Only the department can tell you how long they will hold the report. I suspect it will remain for somewhere between 5 years and forever. If you are curious, you can call and ask them about the retention and their release policies.

- Carl

lilbunny

I guess what I'm concerned about is my husband knowing about it or maybe potentially his vindictive ex wife ever finding about it and maybe causing us problems if we ever have to go (family)court again with her. I foresee sometime in the future that we may have to, although, that is a whole other can of worms. I was wanting to make sure that information wouldn't be readily available to anyone calling the department for it. Can this information ever be removed?

CdwJava

It can be removed if the police department chooses to destroy it, or a court orders it destroyed. Typically, state law will govern the minimum time such things must be kept ... usually, this term seems to be AT LEAST 5 years.

The only people who can answer this question with any degree of certainty will be the records supervisor at the local police department.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">