• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pkrprty123

What is the name of your state? New York
I have been living outside of the United States on a visitor's permit since July 2006. I do, however, still receive mail, have a permanent address and a driver's license in New York. I have been seperated from my husband since December 2004, but have never filed a legal seperation agreement. However, child support and custody has already been settled in court and I have court documents showing that we have had seperate addresses since 2005. We have no assets to divide between us, and no community property. Am I eligible to file for divorce in New York, and if so, can I fill out the forms and do this myself? Will I have to go to New York to do this, or can I have a family member file the paperwork? My husband is no longer a resident of New York, does that make a difference? and what happens if he doesn't agree to sign the paperwork? I don't even have an address for him. I have not seen him, and have barely talked to him since May '06. All I know is that he lives in Washington D.C. How do I proceed from here?

BL

What is the name of your state? New York
I have been living outside of the United States on a visitor's permit since July 2006. I do, however, still receive mail, have a permanent address and a driver's license in New York. I have been seperated from my husband since December 2004, but have never filed a legal seperation agreement. However, child support and custody has already been settled in court and I have court documents showing that we have had seperate addresses since 2005. We have no assets to divide between us, and no community property. Am I eligible to file for divorce in New York, and if so, can I fill out the forms and do this myself? Will I have to go to New York to do this, or can I have a family member file the paperwork? My husband is no longer a resident of New York, does that make a difference? and what happens if he doesn't agree to sign the paperwork? I don't even have an address for him. I have not seen him, and have barely talked to him since May '06. All I know is that he lives in Washington D.C. How do I proceed from here?

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/053006DivorcePacket.html

Residency: http://www.nycourts.gov/litigants/divorce/ud_instructions.shtml#RESIDENCY

You would have to file them between the court clerks and county clerks , have him served ( with out an address that can't happen ) and sign the UD7 form , then if the divorce is granted , you have to file some more forms with the counties clerks .

It's not as easy as it sounds and can be very frustrating for someone not familiar with the way it works .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">