• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alaskafunboy

What is the name of your state? alaska - I had an outstanding misdemeanor arrest warrant. I was downstairs from the main entry to my home. Apparently, the Alaska State Troopers were knocking at my door, and I didn't hear them. They entered my home, and when I heard them coming down my stairs, I hid in the crawl space until I heard them identify themselves and there business. I then came out and was handcuffed in my laundry room and hauled off. I was soon out with bail, and I feel that I was violated in some way. If the officers would have waited, I would have eventually come to the door. My question is: were my rights as a sole proprietor violated? and if so, who should I complain to. Thanx

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? alaska - I had an outstanding misdemeanor arrest warrant. I was downstairs from the main entry to my home. Apparently, the Alaska State Troopers were knocking at my door, and I didn't hear them. They entered my home, and when I heard them coming down my stairs, I hid in the crawl space until I heard them identify themselves and there business. I then came out and was handcuffed in my laundry room and hauled off. I was soon out with bail, and I feel that I was violated in some way. If the officers would have waited, I would have eventually come to the door. My question is: were my rights as a sole proprietor violated? and if so, who should I complain to. Thanx
Illegal search?

You don't mention anything about a search.

The cops were serving an arrest warrant.

tranquility

With an arrest warrant, as long as they had probable cause to believe the target of the warrant was there, they can enter.

CdwJava

And the standard may be even less than that needed for "probable cause" - depending on AK law, all the officers may need is a "reasonable belief" that the subject on the warrant is at home. That could be due to his car in the driveway, statement of a neighbor, etc. AK law may even allow entry to look for the suspect ABSENT such a reasonable belief ... though, since they are in the 9th Circuit, they are likely held to the same standard as we are in CA which is the "reasonable belief" standard.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">