• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

continuation from mikisti

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ian_m

What is the name of your state? MO

I already knew that step-parents were doormats in the eyes of the courts, but here's my additional question regarding rights if something were to happen to the child's mother who has physical custody:

The father molested the girl when she was almost 4 and sat in jail for 18 months through 2 hung-juries, and now isn't allowed to have contact with her. Surely the courts wouldn't force her back into his lap...who's next on the list? Grandparents?

thank you

(I am the step-father)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MO

I already knew that step-parents were doormats in the eyes of the courts, but here's my additional question regarding rights if something were to happen to the child's mother who has physical custody:

The father molested the girl when she was almost 4 and sat in jail for 18 months through 2 hung-juries, and now isn't allowed to have contact with her. Surely the courts wouldn't force her back into his lap...who's next on the list? Grandparents?

thank you

(I am the step-father)
Talk about leaving out critical information...

Grandparents (on both sides) would basically be first in line, with aunts/uncles following. A stepparent could also be in line, but would basically be at the bottom of the list.

If the father is court ordered not to have any contact with the child, it might be possible for you to adopt the child. A consult with an adoption attorney would be your first step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">