• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hockeymom

What is the name of your state? MA

My husband passed away unexpectedly last week at 45. We did not have wills, although the 401K and life insurance policys are all left to me what else do I need to do. We had joint and seperate bank accounts, cars etc... do I need to file for executor? If you could point me in the right direction on where to start it would be appreciated.

Thank You
Tracy

CourtClerk

Tracy, I'm very sorry for your loss.

The joint bank accounts are yours. As for the individual accounts, did they have beneficiaries?

Check back a little later, it's a little early, but some of the probate pros may be on later or sometime this weekend.

nextwife

Also, was his death accidental?

Be certain to check all credit cards and loans, and with employer, in case any accidental death coverage riders existed. Even your AAA or other emergency road service MIGHT have such coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">