• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old arrested for shoplifting.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Partyof7

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My 16 year old daughter was arrested today at the local mall for shoplifting (some underwear, socks, and a necklace) total amount about $60.00. The police released her into our custody. They said they would be contacting us (a juvenile officer from the police station). What can we expect to happen at this point. She told the truth, the mall kept the items, now what? Does this go on her record and if so who can see it? This is her first offense.

The Occultist

It will be up to the mall whether or not to press charges. If they do press charges, post back with the statute(s) being held against him.

Whether or not charges are pressed, definitely expect a civil demand from the mall which may easily be hundreds of dollars.

Partyof7

How will we know if a civil demand is made? Do we get a letter from the Malls attorney? We had to go back to the Mall because one of the Mall Security Officers implied to our 16yr.old that her family life must not be very good and that she was a fun mom who knew all of her kids friends and had them over to the house for games and cookie making all the time. She proceeded to give our 16yr. old her name and personal phone number on her business card. We felt very uncomfortable with this and went back to the mall to speak with the Security Director who never mentioned a civil demand stating that our daughter was a good kid, she just made a bad choice. He said the female officer situation would be rectified immediately. Is there some sort of legal action we can take against the Mall Security because their employee gave our 16 yr old her personal phone number and told her to call her?

JETX

She told the truth, the mall kept the items, now what?
Of course, that does not undo her actions.

What is LIKELY to happen next, no one can guess. However, it is likely that one of the following will occur:
1) She could be charged with shoplifting and face punishment in court, or
2) The mall could decide to NOT charge her and leave it to her parents to 'handle' the problem.

In any case, you can bet that the following WILL happen:
3) She will be issued a 'notice of trespass' banning her from returning to the mall for a period of time. If she violates the notice, she will be arrested.
4) You will receive a very nice letter from a 'recovery company' making a recovery demand. State laws allow the merchant to pursue recovery from shoplifters to help offset their costs of providing security. You MUST pay this amount or they will file a lawsuit against you.

Does this go on her record and if so who can see it?
If they file criminal charges, yes, it will go on her record. However, it is likely to be a juvenile record so it wouldn't be accessible to other than law enforcement (and even then, would require a court order).

Is there some sort of legal action we can take against the Mall Security because their employee gave our 16 yr old her personal phone number and told her to call her?
ROTFLMAO!!! Your daughter is a thief.... and you are worried about someone giving her a business card!!! Handle your own problems before you try to transfer the blame to others.

I understand your concern/annoyance about the personal phone number on the business card, however I would leave it at what you have already done. You reported your discomfort to the supervisor who said they are rectifying the situation. Dont see any need for other action.

As a stepmother of teenagers - I'm hoping this is your one and only problem with the law. Good luck to you.

Partyof7

In reply to JETX. I am not ignoring the fact that my daughter is a thief. I am just wondering if that is why the security officer I reported the personal phone number issue to is telling me that he believes my daughter is a good kid who just made a bad choice, because he's afraid we could take some sort of legal action? Not to mention, regardless of my daughter being a thief, this action of the security officer was unacceptable. I'm not placing blame, just trying to protect my daughter from some possible sicko thats out there. The security officer is an adult in an authoritative position and should not be handing out her personal phone number to minors. How do I know what she does in her home? She doesn't know what I do in mine. I'm only trying to protect my child from some potential harm. I fully expect my daughter to suffer the consequences of her crime "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" but I also don't want her harmed by some possible freak either.

Last edited:

nathani

It will probably get wiped off her record and she will probably just do community service. She's still a minor so that is the good news, It won't ruin her life and she probably learned her lesson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">