• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania law?? Plz help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RocketPig

I dont know if anyone could help me, iv tried to find some info, but i dont know whats legal/illegal in this whole thing, so just trying to see what other people think.

My car was parked at my friends girlfriends house over night in the parking lot. He drove back to where my car was and dropped me off so i could pick it up. At the end of the street there was a cop, that waved my friend to keep going, so he did, and then i made the same turn following him. The cop started following me for a few blocks down and then after making a turn (with a turn signal) was pulled over. i gave the cop my information minus my insurance paperwork, because it wasnt in my car. He went back to his car and i sat for maybe 5 minutes when another cop car pulled up behind him. The original cop came up to my car and said that he got a "tip off" off one of the "local homies" and started asking what branch of the military i was in (assuming he saw my military ID in my wallet or the expired base decal on the front of my windshield). I told him i was in the marines and he asked "what. did being in (the military) leave a bad taste in your mouth?" so i asked him what he meant by that? and he said "because of the anarchist symbol and "resist" on the back of my jacket. AFTER he made the comment about the "political" stuff on my jacket, he told me to step outta my car and to stand at the back of it with another officer, and i was told to put my hands on the back of my trunk. The officer at the back of the car didnt go IN my pockets, but searched through my clothes on the outside. While i was standing there, the other cop starting searching my car without asking me and they found a baton (i had it from the military, where i was military police) and a knife i also had while i was in the military. He then told me i could be arrested for having the baton and that they are going to keep it, even though I COULD HAVE been arrested for it. The knife, they said nothing about and left it in my car. The officer then gave me a written warning ticket, saying i had to bring proof of insurance and "remove window tint on doors" down to the court house.I got in and drove off.

The questions i have are...
-Is Tint probable cause to pull someone over in PA?
-He was waiting at the top of the street, waved my friend on..then followed me, AFTER he got a "tip off", when i was pulling out, he talking to a bunch of young kids (like maybe 15-17 years old) - So he got this tip off, then looked for something while following me to pull me over for..couldnt find anything and went for the tint excuse.
-After i got pulled over..Are the two things above enough to pull a vehicle over, search the driver AND the vehicle? dont they need a warrant or my approval to search?
-Is owning a baton an "arrestable" offence like he said? and if i decide to fight this..can i be charged later with possesion of the baton?
- I just feel the cops thought they got a good top off from a bunch of kids, looked for a reason to pull me over (no probable cause)in hopes of getting lucky and (illegally) searching me after they saw an anarchist symbol and "resist" on my jacket. Is it legal for them to search because of my poliitcal views? or is free thinking illegal now?:confused:

JETX

-Is Tint probable cause to pull someone over in PA?
Yes.

-After i got pulled over..Are the two things above enough to pull a vehicle over, search the driver AND the vehicle?
Depends on what the 'tip off' was for, but probably yes.

dont they need a warrant or my approval to search?
Depends.

Is owning a baton an "arrestable" offence like he said?
Yes.

and if i decide to fight this..can i be charged later with possesion of the baton?
Yes.

Is it legal for them to search because of my poliitcal views?
Solely on that, no.

or is free thinking illegal now?
Depends on what you are thinking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">