• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myr

What is the name of your state? CA

Ok little bit weird case, but here it goes.

This has something to do with providing a service which the person did not pay for. He owes me a couple grand.

I live in CA, the service was provided in Mexico and the person lives in Texas. Where do I have to sue him, in CA, Texas or maybe even Mexico?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

racer72

Where do I have to sue him, in CA,
California has severe restrictions on suing those that live in other states, your case is one that would not be allowed in small claims court.

Ding, ding ding, we have a winner. Of course you must realize that that things such as transportation, lodging and meals are not recoverable, you will have to pay for them out of your pocket. Texas also has some of the toughest laws on collecting too, you will have to consider such things like that too.
or maybe even Mexico?
Mexican judgments are worthless in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">