• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Con Artist suing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janer44

What is the name of your state? Tx

Recently I got a free dog off some online ads. The owner stated that he was giving the dog away because he traveled too much and could not care for the dog. We began email correspondence with this man and one night picked the dog up from a local place. We asked him again how much he was, he said "there is no money for him". We felt sorry for him because he said his goodbyes to the dog, and said good luck. We told him we would be glad to send photos of him every few weeks, just to be nice. We really wanted this type of dog and were very welcoming of him into our home. The first night the dog came into our house he bit my husband's hand while playing, we shrugged it off, emailed the FORMER owner and told him and he said that it was very out of character for the dog. It was always like pulling teeth to get vet or AKC records for this dog and he made up several excuses why he didnt have them, but gave me the name of his former vet. I called the vet because the dog had began to show signs of aggression and jealousy towards our baby. The vet said that he was always aggressive, and had to be muzzled upon examination. They recommended that I get the dog out of my house, immediately or give him back to the old owner. I had already had the dog micro chipped in my own name, at the former owners suggestion. I asked him if he wanted the dog back because he was aggressive and not suitable for our home, he stated that he was out of town and could do nothing about it and "besides, he is ya'lls dog now and you can do what you want with him because I really am too busy for this". We called the rescue group in our state to see if they wanted him, like he had said when he was trying to rehome him they were full. The local SPCA wanted me to wait a week to take him in and I just put him back on a local classifieds website. We found a great home for him with a family who was experienced in this type of breed. The love the dog, but did state that he bit the husband's finger as well. But they still loved him.

The former owner emailed me wanting the dog back. I told him that he was given away around Easter weekend, and that he was happy. The man got angry with me and sent me a series of threatening and demanding emails for the new owners contact information, of which I declined to share with them. I have all emails as proof, about 12 pages of emails from before I got him to when the harassment began.

I had to change my email address and forgot that he had my cell number from when I called him before. A month later, in May of 2008 he sent me 4 threatening text messages stating that my husband and I were hiding something and had "done something to HIS dog!". He also said that he was calling his attorney to "sue me for his dog back". I did not ever reply, changed my cellular number, and contacted the Sheriff's department. The Sheriff read all the emails and text messages and stated that I did NOT steal the dog, as the man had accused me of. The man states that "because no papers were signed, he is not your dog he is his". The Sheriff stated that no papers needed to be signed and the emails proved that the dog was rightfully given to me. He attempted to call the former owner to ask him to stop contacting us, and the man did not answer his phone.

Does he have a case?
I didn't break any laws, he gave me that dog, I gave MY dog away, its none of his business.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The subject of the thread says you are being sued. However, your post says you are only under threat of a lawsuit. If you really have all the documentation you say you do, then I'd say to tell the other guy to put up or shut up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">