• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate vs Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

conlu_96

California - My parents died without leaving a will and I owe back child support. I would be willing to work with the DA to pay off what is owed, if I could retain the property in my name. Is there any concern of losing it all?

[Edited by conlu_96 on 02-07-2001 at 11:53 PM]

A

advisor10

FEB. 12, 2001

DEAR CONLU:

Which "property" are you referring to--selling the home that your parents owned?

If you have brothers and sisters, then it is possible that title to the home might be transferred by the probate court to the names of all children in joint ownership as heirs. You all would probably then want to sell the home and split the money.

Is the amount of back child support you owe, more than or less than the value of the house or than the value of your share of the house?

If you all decide to sell it, then it might take a few months to sell or to receive the income from the sale. But the DA would probably be open to your idea if you could be certain of being able to make consistently regular monthly payments.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">