• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreement of Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcs5437

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My ex and I divorced, it was mutual but when we filed the paper work regarding debt she took several credit cards as her responsiblity. She was to take my name off the cards but percrastinated long enough that her credit score fell to low to remove me now they are calling me to settle the debt. I have no doubt that I will have to pay.

My question is, since the paper work was filed and signed by a jugde showing what was agreed to at the time of our divorce can I do anything regarding the collectors or do I need to take her to court again. Any advice would be helpfull even it its to get me on the right path, thanks.

DCS

seniorjudge

Q: My question is, since the paper work was filed and signed by a jugde showing what was agreed to at the time of our divorce can I do anything regarding the collectors or do I need to take her to court again.

A: You will have to take her to court in the original lawsuit (contempt of court). Your first lawsuit did not affect third parties who weren't in that lawsuit.

dcs5437

So would contempt of court in divorce just be small claims? or just back to divorce court?

then the big question, if I'm taking her to court would I be better off with a lawer vs myself specially regarding dealing with the collectors?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The collectors have NOTHING to do with your case. Assuming that you end up paying them, you would then need to seek compensation from your ex.
The creditor's are NOT a party in your divorce...

Bali Hai

So would contempt of court in divorce just be small claims? or just back to divorce court?

then the big question, if I'm taking her to court would I be better off with a lawer vs myself specially regarding dealing with the collectors?

Thanks
Get a lawyer and ask the court that she be ordered to pay your legal fees in the contempt proceedings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">