• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can't afford lawyer for ex-husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brabra

What is the name of your state? Florida
This is actually for a very good friend of mine. She's in the divorce process, and went to one hearing. The judge told her to pay for her ex-husband lawyer, but she's too tight on money, she can't afford to pay. What are the options for her?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Florida
This is actually for a very good friend of mine. She's in the divorce process, and went to one hearing. The judge told her to pay for her ex-husband lawyer, but she's too tight on money, she can't afford to pay. What are the options for her?
The judge told her to pay. That's her option.

brabra

be hauled into court for contempt

Thanks for your answer.
What does "be hauled into court for contempt" actualy mean?. sorry for my ignorance on legal issues.

LdiJ

Thanks for your answer.
What does "be hauled into court for contempt" actualy mean?. sorry for my ignorance on legal issues.
The other party files a motion for contempt, asking the judge to punish her for not following the judge's orders. She can be fined and even temporarily jailed. Basically, it would be a lot more expensive for her than just paying the attorney fees.

Bali Hai

Thanks for your answer.
It means that she owes a LAWYER money resulting from a court judgement and has not obeyed the court order.

It's one thing to get a judgement for money owed to a common person and quite another thing to owe a lawyer money from a court judgement.

Your friend would be wise to pay up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">