• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lead Hazard/Daycare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockinz2

What is the name of your state? Ca.
What should be done about a woman who knowingly operates childcare services in her home which is on record to have lead contamination.? Many of the children are infants, the others all under 8. She has not told parents. What liability does her family face?What is the name of your state? :eek::mad:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

rockinz2

Lead Contamination/Daycare

Thank you for the suggestion. We wanted to know the legal implications before we make trouble. We are aware that infants are at extreme risk and some have been at the site for months. I'm afraid that her husband would be libel if any lawsuits were filed. Thanks for any advise given...

lealea1005

Is she licensed?

You can google the saycare licensing office closest to you and anonymously ask about the facility requirements for a daycare provider.

rockinz2

Toxic Lead/Daycare

Thank you Lealea 1005 for your time and question. Yes, she is licensed. Part of that process is to certify the building. There are many requirements to be met and it can be hard to get aproved. But I would think that lead would be on the "test" list. I'm frightened with the thought of a baby getting lead poisoned.I'll check w/health dept.

tmwilliams

Where is the contamination? The reason I ask is because if it is in the paint, they may have the option to encapsulate it. Lead water pipes can be a problem, but plumbers can sometimes use lead based solder for drain and sewer lines. Lead exposure to kids and adults can cause serious problems, but it's still used for a lot of things such as car battery terminals, weights (tire balance, fishing, etc.) Seems to me HUD or state EPA would be the place to look.

rockinz2

Toxic Lead/Daycare

The lead has not been abated. This is a historical building and the owners did not want to rip out every piece of trim; doors. casings, baseboards,etc., which is what would be required to do. All trim could be taken away, stripped of paint, and returned for re-installment. The lead is in the varnished surfaces also(more trim: doors, etc.) Some of the flooring is" Battleship" Linoleum , which contains asbestos, another toxin.
This process would cause much harm to the "original" finishes desired by the owners so no abatement was done. I know this because I am the paint contractor and have the original documentation and site test results.

tmwilliams

"This process would cause much harm to the "original" finishes desired by the owners so no abatement was done. "

This bothers me, would they keep an infestation of rattle snakes in fear it would affect the natural environment? Is it worth endangering the safety of children so the owners can preserve this building? As a small business, they may qualify for grants through superfund, dept of commerce, or other agencies in your state that would help pay for the abatement. These things change every time there's an election, but it may be worth looking into. If the state agencies don't do anything about it, I would be tempted to take it to the press, but as a last resort. So keep a list of names and what they did.

S

sareena06

Whatever you decide to do, decide QUICK.Lead is the most toxic metal contaminates known and can cause great health issues with children and babies.
Please act quickly( if you know for sure of course)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">