• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intestate distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cathygibbs

What is the name of your state? NC
Do you still have to post a notice to creditors when filing an intestate estate? If so, how do I get this form and do I just complete the form and send in to the local newspaper as well as all creditors? I have paid in full all of my Mothers debts with the exception of 1, do I only file the notice with that particular creditor?

anteater

The purpose of public notification is to give the creditors that you may not know about to present any claims.

A quick search produced this for North Carolina;
Notification of creditors
You must notify all possible creditors that they must present their claims to you within the next six months. Notice is published in a newspaper having general circulation in the county. In addition to the newspaper publication, you must either personally deliver or mail first class a copy of the notice to each known creditor. You must make reasonable efforts to discover the decedent's creditors in order to send the proper notice. Claims not submitted by the date published in the notice usually will be barred....
http://www.ncbar.org/download/planningYourEstate/estate_administration.html#Notification of creditors

cathygibbs

Is there a special form to complete to send into the newspaper or will they have a form for me to complete? Can I pull a credit report for my mother to find out all of her creditors? How else will I know who she had credit with. We had tried to be very proactive about her debts and paid all in full with the exception of her vehicle.
Also, do I have to dothe notice to creditors in one county that hse died or any other counties where she owned property?

anteater

The newspaper may be able to provide you examples. If it is a slow day at the courthouse, one of the clerks may be nice enough to explain what information must be included in the notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">