• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my dad committed suicied...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgalom

What is the name of your state? Washington

so I don't know what to do. he didn't have much. i have received his income tax return, he had several debit cards that i have obtained. I was told I would have to get a lawyer and file to become the executor of his estate. this is totally new to me! I have no idea what to do. is it expensive to retain a lawyer for this. would i be digging myself into something I'd be unable to handle, I am willing to do whatever needs to be done, i just don't fully understand what exactly that is.

thank you for any advice you can offer,
Jennifer

justalayman

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father. Doing so in the way it has happened can only make this more difficult for you.

here is a website that popped up under a google search for Washington estate probate.

http://www.wa-probate.com/

I did not read it very thouroughly but what I did read seems to appear to be quite thorough and explains things in understandable terms. Obviously, there are many more sites out there that can add to the info that one may be lacking.

Cruise through that and then come on back and ask anything more specific you may need.

Many states have info available (brochures or pamphlets) available for the probate procedure from the court that handles such issues.

Last edited:

richie78

What is the name of your state? Washington

so I don't know what to do. he didn't have much. i have received his income tax return, he had several debit cards that i have obtained. I was told I would have to get a lawyer and file to become the executor of his estate. this is totally new to me! I have no idea what to do. is it expensive to retain a lawyer for this. would i be digging myself into something I'd be unable to handle, I am willing to do whatever needs to be done, i just don't fully understand what exactly that is.

thank you for any advice you can offer,
Jennifer
I am so sorry to hear that Jennifer. I think i understand just how confused and upset you are, because my son committed suicide just about two years ago.

His estate was very small, because he didn't have much of an opportunity to do something with his short lifetime. He died here in Texas, and I was able to handle the settlement of his estate under something called Small Estate Administration for an estate less than $50,000. I don't remember too much about it, but I didn't have to hire a lawyer, and the needed forms and instructions were available from the local probate court, and also on the internet, if I remember correctly. So try contacting the Probate court and ask them about how you can handle a Small Estate Administration, or a Modified Administration. Also look up on the internet using Google or any of the search engines ans see what comes up for your state.

May God bless you and be with you during this trying time.

richie

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">