• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmtaylor

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My husband and I are in the process of adopting 2 children. Our attorney got us guardianship of both of the children until the adoption is completed. (we got the guardianship in 2006, the bio parents changed their minds a month into it, but were deemed unfit, and do not appear to be making any changes) so its basically a waiting game. Anyways, My question is my husband and I decided that we think its better to go ahead and get a divorce. How will this affect our guardianship? And how will that affect our ability to adopt these two kids that we have had custody of for over 2 years???
PLEASE help!!!

mistoffolees

If you divorce you may not get to adopt.
More specifically, you need to go back to whatever agency you are using for the adoption and discuss it with them. It is not unheard of for a single parent to be able to adopt children if they can demonstrate that they are the best option for the children. You will probably need to fill out a new application, pay the fees again, and so on, but that's probably your best shot.

cmtaylor

Thanks!!

Thank you for all the advice. We have decided to try some marriage counceling first and go from there. It is not an abusive situation. We are both frustrated because we all have such busy schedules and not enough family time. So were going to all work on it with some help from a professional therapist and try to enforce more family time. Thanks again!! :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
More specifically, you need to go back to whatever agency you are using for the adoption and discuss it with them. It is not unheard of for a single parent to be able to adopt children if they can demonstrate that they are the best option for the children. You will probably need to fill out a new application, pay the fees again, and so on, but that's probably your best shot.
I meant they could not adopt -- as in the COUPLE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">