• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeerPark13

My question involves small claims court in the state of: Virginia
An incident occurred that required a plumber to troubleshoot the source of a small water leak between 2 town homes. Neither the neighbor nor I could determine the source of the leak and I called my plumber that evening. I informed them that he couldn't make it out that night, but he would be out the next day between the hours of 12 p.m. and 5 p.m.
The neighbors called me at work the next morning and said their water leak was getting worse. I told them my plumber would be out later that day. They ended up calling their own plumber. They asked if I would come home from work and let their plumber in since he inspected their home and was not able to find the source of the leak. I accommodated them even though I knew my plumber was coming out later that day. The source ended up being my home and I had the problem repaired immediately. The neighbors want me to reimburse them for their plumber's fee, because I was the source of the leak and are taking me to small claims court. There were no damages to their home. Am I responsible for their plumber's fee? I did not have to use their plumber, but they did not want to wait for mine. Thanks.

BL

Did you cancel your plumber from coming out ?

Were you billed by your plumber ?

Specifically what was the leak , and where was it leaking in the neighbors home ( that didn't cause damage ) ?

DeerPark13

Response for BL

I cancelled my plumber and was not billed.
There was water slowly leaking from under the parting wall onto the concrete floor and into the air conditioner condensation drainage pipe in the mechanical room. This was the location of the water leakage in my basement as well.

BL

I cancelled my plumber and was not billed.
There was water slowly leaking from under the parting wall onto the concrete floor and into the air conditioner condensation drainage pipe in the mechanical room. This was the location of the water leakage in my basement as well.
Then pay the fee , you would have incurred anyways .

BL

Well, the difference being 173 that their plumber charged and mine would have charged 75.
$75.00 for the service call and the repair ?

If so get a statement to that fact on the plumber letterhead , and send a copy to you neighbor stating you'll pay $75 . or if you end up in court advice the court of what you would have been charged , holding up your plumber's statement .

It doesn't sound as it was an emergency .

DeerPark13

Response to BL.

No, my plumber would have charged me $75 to find the source of the leak and $1,100 to replace the water heater. I only used the neighbors plumber to be accomodating and fix the problem immediately, which ended up costing me $1,800.

BL

No, my plumber would have charged me $75 to find the source of the leak and $1,100 to replace the water heater. I only used the neighbors plumber to be accomodating and fix the problem immediately, which ended up costing me $1,800.
So the plumber found the source of the leak , and YOU agreed to have that plumber replace YOUR water heater , pay the cost .

If it wasn't an emergency , you could have waited for your plumber to install the water heater , if it needed to be .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">