• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dissolution with minor children: no full agreement allowed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batata

What is the name of your state? Ohio

We are trying the cheap route, a dissolution, with all details agreed on out of court, with court not mandating anything. But there appears to be something in the documents to the effect that child support and spousal support cannot be skipped, unlike the other details.
I guess things might be different in Ohio than in other states.

What are our options if we wish to not have the court mandate anything, financially speaking? As we understand the paper work, I would have to provide child support for one minor child, and she would have to pay me spousal support, because her finances are better than mine. That is simply ridiculous, especially since we are both willing to work things out ourselves.

I wonder if we can seek a divorce/dissolution in a state where we do not reside, to get around this problem. She might be moving to Michigan, I might be going South somewhere (overseas is also a possibility), but I am not sure that would help anything, only complicate matters if we wait until we are far from each other.

Any advice appreciated. :confused:

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Ohio

We are trying the cheap route, a dissolution, with all details agreed on out of court, with court not mandating anything. But there appears to be something in the documents to the effect that child support and spousal support cannot be skipped, unlike the other details.
I guess things might be different in Ohio than in other states.

What are our options if we wish to not have the court mandate anything, financially speaking? As we understand the paper work, I would have to provide child support for one minor child, and she would have to pay me spousal support, because her finances are better than mine. That is simply ridiculous, especially since we are both willing to work things out ourselves.

I wonder if we can seek a divorce/dissolution in a state where we do not reside, to get around this problem. She might be moving to Michigan, I might be going South somewhere (overseas is also a possibility), but I am not sure that would help anything, only complicate matters if we wait until we are far from each other.

Any advice appreciated. :confused:
The court will NOT mandate child and spousal support. You have to deal with them however in the dissolution paperwork. it is easy just to say that both parties waive their right to pursue spousal support and understand that the court will not jurisdiction over this issue. And for child support, it is easy to agree to a downward deviation due to time spent with the child or other out pocket expenses or something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">