• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Punishment in home state for traffic violation in another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annette9016

What is the name of your state? NC

I was pulled over for speeding in MA where there is $100 fine for this. However I have been told I am also going to be punished in NC. Because the conviction codes don't match between the states of Mass and N.C., the DMV cannot tell me what the penalty will be for an infraction. 30 days to 1 year suspension, I've been told, depending on a code received from Mass. If a citizen doesn't know the punishment before committing the crime, how is the punishment a deterrent? And how is this fair? Has this happened to anyone else?

xylene

However I have been told I am also going to be punished in NC.
Who 'told' you this?

What was you exact MA charge?

The DMV is what state are you talking about?

I am assuming you are an NC resident and NC licensed?

As to you Q about fairness... thats another issue.

If you are facing suspension, you would be wise to seek legal counsel.

annette9016

Traffic violation in MA; punishment in MA AND NC

I live in NC where it's big business for traffic lawyers to get individuals' speeding tickets cancelled. Consequently hardly anyone gets a speeding fine here and so when they do, it's draconian. The real issue here is that a code is apparently going to be sent down from MA to a court in NC and that will dictate whether I lose my license for 30 days or a year. Yet I've already paid $100 fine in MA and have committed no violation of the law in NC. Why should I be punished twice? Of course I've seen a lawyer and have one acting for me in Boston, but he seems doubtful that the judge will throw it out of court next week; that doesn't happen in MA.
So I will be punished twice for the same "crime" - I thought that was unconstitutional?

annette9016

I am NC resident and NC licensed.
DMV in NC.
Speeding fine was for 85 in a 65.
The court in Raleigh, NC told me that I would get a suspension of my license (between 30 days and one year, depending on the "conviction code" sent from court in Boston).

xylene

I am NC resident and NC licensed.
DMV in NC.
Speeding fine was for 85 in a 65.
The court in Raleigh, NC told me that I would get a suspension of my license (between 30 days and one year, depending on the "conviction code" sent from court in Boston).
Why did you go to court in NC for a speeding ticket in MA?

FlyingRon

I assume by "court" he's talking about the DMV hearing. NC will take your license away for points as well as certain specific traffic violations. This is separate from the conviction in whatever state he happened to get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">