• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Learner

What is the name of your state? MD (Baltimore)

Recently I received a credit card bill for my mom in the amount of $5100. I called the credit card and report it for identity theft. I spoke to a representative and she said that a call was made to transfer $4,800 to a bank account. She said that the caller was a male, the one who confirm the card was a male as well. So I asked her to check if the bank account is in my mom's ex-boyfriend name. I suspect it's him because he knows my mom social security number and birthday.

I called him, but he did not return my call.

The representative said that since I gave him the information, it's not consider identify theft, is this correct? If it is so, then can I make him pay back the money. If yes, is it better to go to small court and lose that approximate 100 (since there's a 5000 limit)? My mom is living in Oregon, thus there's the cost of flying back here. There's also the cost of us travelling to MD' I'm living in Philadelphia. If I decide not to go to small court, can I make him pay for those cost?

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/smallclaims.pdf

I read this PDF but I have a few questions about it. There's a section call contract or tort. Am I correct in selecting contract? Also where do I file a complaint?

http://www.baltocts.state.md.us/about/contactus.htm

Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Courthouse
100 N. Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202

or

Courthouse East
111 N. Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Why did your mother give him her SSN? I can understand giving him her birthdate since she probably thought he wanted to celebrate it were her.

Why was the credit card bill sent to you?

Why would you call the ex-boyfriend to ask if he opened an account and siphoned money from your mother's account? Did you honestly expect him to admit it?

If you or your mother don't go to small claims court, the ex-boyfriend automatically wins the case.

Learner

My mother doesn't read or write english well, so she gives him the SSN to take care some of her paperwork. They've lived together for 12 years. I would think that's enough to trust a person. I'm obviously wrong.

The bill was sent to my house, but it's in my mom's name. The answer is obvious, he didn't intend to pay the bill. I honestly do not expect him to admit it, or if he does, I don't expect him to pay it back. But the file said I should try to settle it outside the courtroom first, before filing for a complaint.

If my mother go to court, what evidence should I gather? I was thinking of getting these:
- Credit Card Bill
- My mom's ticket to Oregon (to prove she's in Oregon at the time of the charges because there's a gas charge for GA. I don't know if that would hold.)
- Hopefully a paper from the credit card to confirm that the voice to the credit card belong to a male.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">