• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing Court Appointed Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tstevenson2003

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello
My name is Tiffany and I am writing on the behalf of a friend of mine who is currently incarcerated. She has asked me in a couple of letters if there is anything she can do to get rid of her current court appointed attorney and request a different one. This lawyer rarely ever comes to see her and when she does seems very unorganized regarding her case. When she has come to see her, she doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable about her case and has even told her, "I'm really not sure what to tell you." She also advised her, "You should probably just do an open plea. It looks like you're looking @ 20 anyway." This girl has zero resources whatsoever as far as financial or any type of family support on the outside who could just hire her a private attorney. Is there anyway she can do this and if so, how would she go about doing it? :confused:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Tiffany

garrula lingua

... sounds like the atty is too honest.

Some attys exude confidence and tell defendants they are in a wonderful position and the atty will get the charges dismissed.
... and then the attys do nothing/little in court (and maybe no one could) ... the defendants get convicted.

So, what ? She wants to fire an honest atty and get one who says Don't worry, be happy ?

Either this girl has a defense or she doesn't.
If she doesn't, this atty may be the best one to negotiate a deal.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And quite frankly while she has a constitutional right to an attorney she does NOT have the right to choose said attorney who is appointed to represent her.

BL

Court appointed Attorney's are sometimes overburdened with cases assigned to them .

Therefor they seem unorganized , as they have to open the file and look it .

They do not have hyperthymestic syndrome .

Why is your Friend looking at 20 for ?

BTW , the Attorney's have schedules and a very busy calendar , they often have to race around .

They spend more time in court than they do the jail house .

tstevenson2003

Re: Firing Court Appt. Attorney

Thank ya'll for your time. She has been charged with "11/14/07-PID CS PG 1 >=1G<4G, DFZ; 11/14/07-DEL CS PG 1 <1G, DFZ; 11/14/07-DEL CS PG 1 <1G, DFZ
2nd Degree Felony" copied and pasted from the website for the county. She did tell me in a letter they were willing to drop the drug free zone off of her case. Looking at this now, seems like 20 may be a good break! Anyhow, I completely understand what you're saying as far as the honest attorney but I kind of thought she might be able to discuss with the district attorney for an easier sentence. I do realize she really screwed up so it's not like she can expect a smack on the hand and a tea party but I don't know. Just random thoughts on this case I guess. Anyway, thank you for everyones help.

Tiffany

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">