• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my legal options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimo

In October my husband and I bought a car from a big dealership in our area. What makes this a tricky situation is that my husband has DUI convictions with the latest one being in July/2000. The dealership was made aware of this fact but we were told he could still have a car in his name. Not knowing any better we believed what we were told. Wrong. Now I cannot get tags for our vehicle because he cannot have a car registered in his name until he gets his license back. (The car is titled to both me and my husband.) The lein holder says the only way to get his name off of the title is to get the car refinanced, which is not an option for us do to credit troubles. I feel like it is the dealerships responsibility to make ammends in this situation because as I stated previously they were aware that he had no license. We live in North Carolina and would appreciate any and all comments/HELP!!!!

JETX

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic that the dealership is responsible for titling a car in your DUI husbands name. They are not your attorney and can not be expected to handle your legal issues for you. You are the one who should have known about the 'non-title' problem, not them.

Besides, what 'amends' do you believe the dealership should make for your error??

I suggest that you talk with the lender and see if they will agree to drop his name from the title. After all, it will not affect the payment agreement that is in effect.

Either that, or you can sell the car.

B

buddy2bear

The loan for the vehicle can be in both names. The registration and title can be in one name. Go to your nearest DMV and have the title changed to your name only. Have your husband go with you, because he will have to fill out the paperwork to "give" you the car as a "gift." Family can do this. Otherwise, you will probably have to pay state sales tax again. Your DMV will be able to help answer all your questions, but you will have to visit them and go through all the riggamoroll. For car insurance purposes, you can have the insurance in your name only with your husband as a "named exclusion" from the policy. That means he can't drive it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">