• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help or advice...PLEASE?!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smodge podge

What is the name of your state?

Here are the facts:

Deceased father, had property and residence in South Carolina

Lived last 2 months in the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh PA

I live in Georgia

Siblings live in Pennsylvania

I know a will was written by my dad when my sister badgered him into re-doing it by a Pennsylvania attorney, listing all 4 kids as executors.

Dad died 4-27-08, I asked for a copy of the will without any luck. Through some checking, I found that the estate must be probated through South Carolina. The day after the funeral, Sister went down to the house and cleared out most of my dad's belongings. I am being kept in the dark about this and any future proceedings. I am on the verge of going to the courthouse and filing the petition to have the estate opened, but I am seeking any further advice before proceeding. My dad had a handwritten list of what items go to whom, copy of which is God knows where. I do not have the resources to retain a lawyer, but I will do so if the situation does not improve. Any advice?

I haven't heard from the other family members since the last time that I talked to them. I was accused in a round about way of "bugging" them about this issue and the guilt of my being the bad guy in this case. It is upsetting to deal with these issues that have me emotionally entagled, and I am worried that my best interests will not be kept uppermost in their eyes unless the courts get involved.

I guess my question would be, should I wait and try and contact them one final time before I take any action on this? I know already that the one sister loses her temper in a melodramatic way everytime the matter is addressed with the name calling and screaming, so I feel that it is a lost cause at this time. I just want to ensure that the court knows that I am ready and available to administer the estate affairs if needed.

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed within 30-60 days after the death, so if after that time they have not done so, you are free to consult with a probate attorney to find out if it would be to your advantage to open up probate.

karsteny

response

wills are public records and can be obtained by contacting the county where the decedent lived hope this helps.

cp1957

What is the name of your state?

Here are the facts:

Deceased father, had property and residence in South Carolina

Lived last 2 months in the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh PA

I live in Georgia

Siblings live in Pennsylvania

I know a will was written by my dad when my sister badgered him into re-doing it by a Pennsylvania attorney, listing all 4 kids as executors.

Dad died 4-27-08, I asked for a copy of the will without any luck. Through some checking, I found that the estate must be probated through South Carolina. The day after the funeral, Sister went down to the house and cleared out most of my dad's belongings. I am being kept in the dark about this and any future proceedings. I am on the verge of going to the courthouse and filing the petition to have the estate opened, but I am seeking any further advice before proceeding. My dad had a handwritten list of what items go to whom, copy of which is God knows where. I do not have the resources to retain a lawyer, but I will do so if the situation does not improve. Any advice?

I haven't heard from the other family members since the last time that I talked to them. I was accused in a round about way of "bugging" them about this issue and the guilt of my being the bad guy in this case. It is upsetting to deal with these issues that have me emotionally entagled, and I am worried that my best interests will not be kept uppermost in their eyes unless the courts get involved.

I guess my question would be, should I wait and try and contact them one final time before I take any action on this? I know already that the one sister loses her temper in a melodramatic way everytime the matter is addressed with the name calling and screaming, so I feel that it is a lost cause at this time. I just want to ensure that the court knows that I am ready and available to administer the estate affairs if needed.
You mentioned you don't have the resources to hire a attorney, I would try and get one because this is going to go on for a while. Sounds like your sister is having a very hard time dealing with fathers death. Talk to some one else in the family. The court will already be involved, this is probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">