• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how much can I sue for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedHelp80

What is the name of your state? CA

What is the limit to sue for Small Claims Court in Ca? I'm an individual suing an Inc.? I read it was $7500, but now i'm seeing it's $5,000.

any help would be great!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's both.
It took considerably less than 7 seconds to find: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/scbasics.htm#howmuch

How much money can I ask for?
An individual cannot ask for more than $7,500 in a claim. Corporations and other entities (like, government entities) cannot ask for more than $5,000. You can file as many claims as you want for up to $2,500 each. But you can only file 2 claims in a calendar year that ask for more than $2,500.

You can only sue a guarantor for up to $4,000 ($2,500 if they don't charge for the guarantee). But, if you are a natural person filing against the Registrar of the Contractors' State License Board you can sue a guarantor for up to $7500. A "guarantor" is a person who promises to be responsible for what another person owes.

NeedHelp80

I guess what I was looking for was clarifying the "if it's a corporation they can sue for up to $5,000". I was reading it as, if i'm suing an individual, I can sue for up to $7,500 but if it were a corporation it would be $5,000.

I was able to find the same thing in "under 7 seconds". I asked for clarity not the same thing I was asking.

thank you though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess what I was looking for was clarifying the "if it's a corporation they can sue for up to $5,000". I was reading it as, if i'm suing an individual, I can sue for up to $7,500 but if it were a corporation it would be $5,000.

I was able to find the same thing in "under 7 seconds". I asked for clarity not the same thing I was asking.

thank you though.
Brush up on your comprehension before you hurt yourself.
If a corporation is suing, the max is $5,000.

seniorjudge

Sue for whatever you want.

If the amount is wrong, the judge won't come down off the bench and slap you upside the head.

Oh...wait a minute.

You're in California.

Never mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">