• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do I have as an Executor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natalie_BiancaC

I live in Atlanta GA. and I am the Executor of my Sister's estate. I am still doing business on her behalf and the Estate is active. My Aunt recently passed this year and her Husband is the Executor of her Estate. He recently had a reading of the Will and I was not invited. My Aunt and Uncle (her brother and sister) were at the reading and I was informed that the Will indicated a 50/50 split between her Husband and my Sister.
Her Husband has made no attempt to contact me and has no intention of executing her wishes because my sister is dead. I don't even know if the Will has been filed with the state or what assets my Aunt might have had.
Do I have the right as my Sister's Executor to see the Will or collect any assets left to my Sister's estate if the Will is not going to be probated?

Last edited:

ladybg1

I believe your sister's estate would only inherit if the will made some provision for one of the heirs dying before the aunt and her share going to your sisters estate or heirs. Check in the county where your Aunt lived to see if the will has been filed for probate. If it has you can request a copy of the will. If it has not, you can force the husband to do something about it by filing it as intestate. Then he has to produce the will or risk having the Aunts estate being settled by Ga law.

Natalie_BiancaC

Thank you

Thank you Ladybg1 for the information.
I have one question. My Sister's estate can only inherit from my Aunt if my Aunt's Will indicates that the inheritors receive what is left to them whether they are alive or dead at the time of my Aunt's death?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">