• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

very late tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

braig

I got a few speeding tickets in upstate NY about a year ago, and never paid them (don't ask me why, I was stupid). My license was obviously suspended, but I didn't need to drive, so wasn't in a hurry to deal with them (and no one seemed to be trying to contact me). But now I would like to clear everything up. I just called the DMV, and they said I have 3 tickets to pay, and gave me the phone numbers of the courts. Can I still just call them, pay these tickets, with some late fine, and everytihng will be ok? I imagine there might be a warrant out for me, although like I said, I haven't heard anything. Will this make things more complicated, and could it affect my record? Also, what can I expect as far as late fines (specifically, what do you expect the total cost of all this will be)? Thanks.

Hey There

Some info but only the court has the info you requested

5-25-08
braig
(Source -- N.Y. DMV website)
The traffic court or Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) notifies the DMV. who suspends the driver's licence until he responds to the ticket ,pays the fine, or the mandatory surcharge.
A suspension for the failure to respond to a ticket doesn't mean the driver is guilty of the charge. It only means he failed to respond to the ticket.
HOWEVER to remove the suspension, the driver must respond to the ticket, pay the fine, or pay the mandatory surcharge and also pay the suspension termination fee of $35 to the traffic court or the TVB.
IF the driver ignores the ticket he has received a suspension from TVB for failure to respond to the ticket, he will be found guilty by default.The DMV suspends the driver's driver license for failure to pay the fine. To remove a default conviction from a TVB, the driver must pay $70.00 in suspension termination fees.
To remove the suspension
suspension termination fees + the fines + the surcharges
MUST be paid.
Information on suspensions and revocations, are in the DMV brochure, "Suppose Your License Were Taken Away".
I found nothing that would indicate that a warrant would be issued for 3 speeding tickets a year ago in this brochure.
For info on what to do IF a warrant had been issued
Google What to do if a warrant is issued for your arrest:
Click on the website of the same name.
According to this site when a driver makes clear his intention to take of the fines he won't be arrested.(Paragraph 4)

To find out the total cost the court will have to be contacted as I see the Occultist has posted as I was typing this info in.

Let us know the outcome.
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">