• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LTD benefit offset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creed9090

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have been on short term disability since aug and in apr it was suppose to turn into ltd. I finally got news that the ltd was approved, they told me in the beginning to apply for SSDI, which I did. When I called to see how much I was going to be getting, they are taking out the SSDI offset from my benefit amount.

According to my companies policy and metlife's life policy, my ltd benefit amount would not be reduced until my ssdi was approved and at that point, I would have to pay back the difference, hence the repayment documents I signed. I asked the reps at Metlife why this was done and could not get a straight answer. I have to wait until Tuesday to called the hr dept and try to speak with someone else at metlife.

Am I missing something or are they allowed to reduce your benefits eventhough you haven't been approved yet? I submitted all the required paperwork to metlife, so that wasn't an issue. I thought maybe they knew something I didn't know, that perhaps my ssdi had been approved, but it is still pending.

Anyone deal with metlife have any suggestions?

Mark6147

Social Security Disability Offset

I live in GA. I was sent a letter asking them if I wanted them to estimate an offset and deduct it or if I wanted to continue to receive full benefits. Since you have to repay it anyway, my attorney said I would be foolish to have them deduct for SSDI. Not to mention that your SSDI and your LTD are two separate policies. You are not guaranteed SSDI benefits, so if they deduct something you are not guaranteed to get back, you might have a hell of a time getting your money back from the LTD Co. I would fight it and NOT ALLOW them to deduct it. But please remember, you will probably have to send your lump sum SSDI payment to the insurance company once you are approved. And at that point they will reduce your benefits by that same amount. And when you do get your SSDI approved, I would have 3 other people calculate the overpayment. Being that I had worked 2 months the year I went out on disability, it cost me $49 a month in LTD benefits. Hard to explain, but they were right in doing this. So, please be careful about your repayment. P.S. I was also allowed to repay them over a 24 month period. At the time, I thought I really needed the money more than they did. I wish now I had just sent them their money and I would be receiving my full benefits now. So since I am paying them back over the next 24 months, money is extremely tight. So, again give it all careful thought. If people know you have $50,000 they will all of a sudden need to borrow a few hundred, and before you know it, IT'S ALL GONE! In my case anyway!

nanato2

money's all gone

yes, the money is all gone, and so are the friends and family members that decided THEY were in more need than you!!
Know the feeling, well!

tigerlilly

yes, the money is all gone, and so are the friends and family members that decided THEY were in more need than you!!
Know the feeling, well!
umm hmmm. unless one learns to say no,

After a tough 2 yr battle a good friend of mine was approved for SSDI last yr and she got about $40k backpay. She paid some old bills, paid back a few people who had helped her out, moved into a new apt and bought new furniture. She put a few thousand in savings “just in case”, then with the rest (about $20k) spoke to a financial consultant and invested in a roth IRA, mutual funds, and long term CDs.

Her sister had helped her out and she paid her sister twice what she owed. Few weeks later sis (who lives in a new house, has good job, drives new cars), had the nerve to call and ask for MORE money, saying they didn’t have food in the house. My friend said NO (told her to go to a food pantry), and they haven’t spoken since.

My advice is not to tell anyone how much backpay you get. None of their business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">