• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidential Informant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tffranklin

What is the name of your state? Washington. When a "CI" is instructed to do a controlled buy on an intended target, can they also "get high" during that transaction with that same intended target?

las365

Sure they can. I think your real question is, if the confidential informant uses drugs with the target of the investigation during the buy, how does that affect his or her credibility and/or the criminal charges against and prosecution of the target?

tffranklin

Okay, I never would have guessed that it would be acceptable for a "CI" and an intended target to actually do the drugs during a controlled buy. Based on that, I guess the next question would be that of Credibility right? Taking a persons word, eventhough they are high on drugs.

las365

Don't misunderstand. I didn't say it was okay to do it, or that they were supposed to do it or should do it, I said they can do it. People do things that are not okay all the time.

tffranklin

I understand. Thank you very much for your time. If I could just ask 1 more question: In a trial, if a "CI" testified to (doing drugs with target during transaction). Then wouldn't it seem unfair for a defendants lawyer to not question it at all?

CdwJava

If the CI's use fo the drug somehow effects his credibility, then it is a valid angle of questioning. However, unless the CI's testimony is pivotal, and the argument is that his perceptions were warped, the CI's drug use may not be all that relevant ... depending on the substance and the circumstances.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">