• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My brother in law left my nephew home alone!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinkybugsmom

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have no idea what to do! I just found out tonight that my brother in law left my 3 year old nephew home alone (because he was sleeping) while he went to pick up my other nephew at school a few blocks away! :mad:I am furious! He doesn't have a very good reputation with our family. He has had situations in his past that I don't like either. My sister left him about a year ago because there were bruises found on the oldest child from my brother in law beating him with a belt. He yells constantly at the kids and slaps them in the head when they don't listen. My sister reported the abuse and was away from him for about a week. then they were back together. We haven't seen anymore bruises but I think he's just gotten smarter and not left any. I do not think he has stopped beating the oldest and now he is neglecting the younger one. I know my sister loves her kids but I also know that if she really cared, she wouldn't have them in this situation. She has other options so it's not like she's "stuck". Me and all 3 of my sisters are VERY close. And I do not want to hurt our relationship but my nephews' saftey comes first. Nothing that I know of ever happened with the child abuse reports a year ago. My big question is, if he is reported and the kids get taken away would I have the opportunity to ask that they be allowed to live with me?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have no idea what to do! I just found out tonight that my brother in law left my 3 year old nephew home alone (because he was sleeping) while he went to pick up my other nephew at school a few blocks away! :mad:I am furious! He doesn't have a very good reputation with our family. He has had situations in his past that I don't like either. My sister left him about a year ago because there were bruises found on the oldest child from my brother in law beating him with a belt. He yells constantly at the kids and slaps them in the head when they don't listen. My sister reported the abuse and was away from him for about a week. then they were back together. We haven't seen anymore bruises but I think he's just gotten smarter and not left any. I do not think he has stopped beating the oldest and now he is neglecting the younger one. I know my sister loves her kids but I also know that if she really cared, she wouldn't have them in this situation. She has other options so it's not like she's "stuck". Me and all 3 of my sisters are VERY close. And I do not want to hurt our relationship but my nephews' saftey comes first. Nothing that I know of ever happened with the child abuse reports a year ago. My big question is, if he is reported and the kids get taken away would I have the opportunity to ask that they be allowed to live with me?
What your brother in law did, was wrong, and stupid, but not necessarily something that would cause the children to be removed from the home.

However yes, if CPS were to remove the children from the home, you would be one of the people that could be considered for placement. You wouldn't necessarily be first in line, generally grandparents (on both sides) would be first in line, and then after that would be the aunts and uncles on both sides.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">