• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hkinzey51

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I've been in Ga for 1 1/2 years. I have found out that there is an outstanding felony warrant from California. I would expect that they will want to extradite me back to CA. I've called the warrant office in CA and they won't give me any info. They said to go to local law enforcement, which means I'll probably be arrested. I don't know exactly what's in the warrant, but I assume it's for identity theft and/or forgery. (around $15,000)
I can't afford to hire an attorney but I'm tired of looking over my shoulder and I am considering turning myself in. I want to finally do the right thing and turn my life around. What can I expect? And what are the extradition procedures? How long will I sit in a GA jail?
Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
HKWhat is the name of your state?

outonbail

Due to the overcrowding of California's county jails and prisons, as well as the heavy case loads in most courts, I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance that California would extradite you at this time. So, if you want to clear this matter up, you may have to return to California on your own.
You can always try turning yourself in to your local authorities and see if Ca. is that interested in coming to get you, but I wouldn't count on it.
But until you appear before the court in the jurisdiction where these charges were filed and answer to them, the warrant will remain in place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">