• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony larceny?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tukker99

What is the name of your state? MIchigan
My girlfriend is being accused of stealing a few items from a garage sale with a grand total of still owing 27$. The accusers are saying she paid X amount and said she would be back to pay for the rest of the items in a little bit. They gave her all of the items even the ones she supposidly didnt pay for. 3 days later she is being accused and the officer said she could be arrested for felony larceny. The accusers say they have 3 witnesses and my girlfriends sister was with her at the time that this all supposisdly happened also. My girlfriend says all of her items were paid for in full before she left the sale.

Question is would this be considered a felony? Wouldn't this be a case of basically who would be believed over the other? Also i think that the people she got the items from probably made a calulation error and realized this after she had alreadly departed and are now trying to get the extra that they did not collect. Would this actually be a case that a prosecutor would even decide to prosecute?

Yours TRULY
CONFUSED

seniorjudge

Q: Question is would this be considered a felony?

A: 3 days later she is being accused and the officer said she could be arrested for felony larceny.

Q: Wouldn't this be a case of basically who would be believed over the other?

A: Yes, as are all criminal cases.

Q: Would this actually be a case that a prosecutor would even decide to prosecute?

A: Yes.

tukker99

Misdemeanor ?

This would not be considered a felony is what i have been told by a few of my friends. However, I dont kno who to believe. My friend says that if its under 200$ its a misdemeanor. Is this correct? She also wants to know if this would be a case that a judge would hear or a case for a jury? My friend also says she has no paperwork on anything that she is being charged with, only way she knew about any of it was a cop showed up at her house and questioned her about it but left her no paperwork. Can they come and arrest her if she has no paperwork and doesn.'t even kno if she is actually being charged with anything?

seniorjudge

Q: She also wants to know if this would be a case that a judge would hear or a case for a jury?

A: If you ask for a jury trial, you will get a jury trial. If you ask for a trial to the judge only, you will get a trial to the judge only. Your choice.

Q: Can they come and arrest her if she has no paperwork and doesn.'t even kno if she is actually being charged with anything?

A: Yes.

tukker99

misdemeanor?

Is my friend correct that is would be a misdmeanor charge and not a felony, because of the amount only being 27$. Isn't is true that you cannot be arrested of a crime if you don't even know what you are being charged with, or even being charged at all? Like i said she only had an officer come out to her house and question her, he never said she was being charged. He did tell her he would be back to arrest her on a felony charge within 2 weeks, and that he had to get a judge to sign the papers .. We are very confused and she doesn't kno who to call to ask for help.

seniorjudge

Q: Is my friend correct that is would be a misdmeanor charge and not a felony, because of the amount only being 27$.

A: Asked and answered.

Q: Isn't is true that you cannot be arrested of a crime if you don't even know what you are being charged with, or even being charged at all?

A: Asked and answered.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Q: Is my friend correct that is would be a misdmeanor charge and not a felony
A: A: 3 days later she is being accused and the officer said she could be arrested for felony larceny.

tukker99

Confused

Answered no. You whomever you are answering questions obviously know nothing of misdmeanor or felony charges. I have looked it up and for the state of michigan you cannot be charged with a felony if the items are under 200$. You answered that my friend could be charged with a felony. That was incorrect and false. If you are going to answer peoples questions perhaps you should know the facts!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Answered no. You whomever you are answering questions obviously know nothing of misdmeanor or felony charges. I have looked it up and for the state of michigan you cannot be charged with a felony if the items are under 200$. You answered that my friend could be charged with a felony. That was incorrect and false. If you are going to answer peoples questions perhaps you should know the facts!
You obviously have the answers...why are you here again? :rolleyes:

seniorjudge

A cop says you can be charged with a felony.

Your friends say you can't.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">