• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple question about rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimster007

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

So the cops never told me my rights, and he said since i told him a few things, that he would file a case with the DA. So since he didn't read any of those rights is he allowed to even use it against me? I didnt really say much either, i dont think :\

thanks.

jimster007

Thanks

The Occultist, thanks for answering me question.

I was never told my rights. Since i refused to talk in front of 4 cops, one of them made me get in a cop car, and he questioned me there. He made it seem like i was going to just sit there until i said something. I was never arrested, apparently i was under the influence which i WASNT, only cause i was crying. (they told me it was my fault that someone had been seriously hurt/possible death. The truth was, the victim didnt want to talk to them cause i had nothing to do with it. I hope i made it a little more clear.

The Occultist

Did you ever ask if you were free to leave? If you had asked that, they would either have said yes, and you could have left, or they would have said no, which would indicate your arrest.

On one hand, even though you were ignorant of your ability to leave, you stayed around and willfully answered their questions, they can be held against you. However, an aggressive attorney might be able to argue the officers coerced you into answering your questions and might be able to get your statements suppressed in court. My guess would probably be the former.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">