• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clocked from the rear of the car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrambler1275

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Can an officer clock you if you're coming up behind him and he's parked on the side of the road? I was issued a speeding ticket this morning heading out of a town but the officer was parked on the wrong side of the road. I came from behind him and he claimed he clocked me going 46 (in a 30) as I was coming out of town when I know for a fact I wasn't. I had just turned off of a side street and I sure wasn't in a hurry. I was well out of the Speed Zone when I passed him also. Then when he gave me the ticket he wrote it at 47, not the 46 he said when he 1st approached my vehicle.

justalayman

there are rear facing radar units, front facing radar units and even hand held units they can point at the sky should they desire.

whether this officer had the ability to clock you to the rear is something you will have to determine.

Hey There

Clicking, Reading, Finds Information,

5-26-08
scrambler1275

Indiana has Trial by Affadavit and trial by jury if a timely request is made.
Google Indiana Trial by Affidavit for traffic violations
for infomation and check with the local court for their rules.
Courts that hear Traffic Violations are the TVB(Traffic Violation Bureau), County Court, City/Town Court, Circuit Court.
Google: Know Your Indiana Courts
For information on contesting a speeding ticket :Google
[Speeding Ticket FAQ Indiana]
Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining

Best Regards,
Hey There

scrambler1275

Do most departments then probably have this capability? This was a county deputy just outside of a small Amish town in Indiana at 3:00 AM; no one around anywhere. I'm still positive that I wasn't clocked going that fast; I had even gone back to redrive that path to see. I don't think I even hit 40; and if I did, I was out of the speed zone, where the speed limit was 45. I don't even think he clocked anything seeings how he gave me 2 different speeds, so I was just curious as to whether cruisers had radar to clock from the back. I've never had a speeding ticket in 15 yrs of driving and I sure didn't want one know.

The Occultist

The defense that "you don't think the officer could have clocked me from behind" isn't going to work, so you might as well just drop that avenue and begin asking different questions. You might have a defense (I don't know enough of your situation one way or another), but it ain't gonna be the rear RADAR.

Hey There

Back to Square One

5-27-08

When a driver says his speed was clocked it is generally assumed that the method used to determine the speed is Radar.
However Indiana also uses VASCAR and pacing to determine the speed a driver is going.You were referring to RADAR?
Errors can occur in all of these methods and a book published by NOLO has a detailed account how errors can occur when radar and other methods for checking speed are used.This book is likely available at the local library, although information obtained from the internet can also provide an explanation of how radar works and what can go wrong.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">