• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? Speed Calulation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GMinckler

What is the name of your state? PA

I received citation stating I was going 69.7 mph in 50 mph zone.
I don’t believe I was going that fast.
Officer used timing device AKA VASCAR.
Citation states that miles timed was .043 and 2.67 secs. Timed.
Being that there are 5280 feet per mile and .o43 of that is 227.04 ft and a time of 2.67 secs calculates out to travel speed of 85.04 feet per second.
Multiply by 60 to convert seconds to minutes equals 5102.02 feet per min.
Multiply again by 60 to convert minutes to feet per hour equals 306121.35 feet per hour.
Then divide by 5280 to convert to mph equals 57.98 mph.
So how can he write I was going 69.7 mph?:confused:

Last edited:

The Occultist

I am not in a state of mind to double check your math, but I do wish to point out that driving 58 in a 50 is still speeding.

GMinckler

Yes this is true but 8 miles over is not 19, increase in fine and points. I like to pay what I owe, not inflated to fill township’s pockets.:mad:

...but I do wish to point out that driving 58 in a 50 is still speeding.
Based on the idea that the math is correct (which I believe it is), I must point out that you are incorrect. 58 in a 50 under these conditions is not a speeding offense in PA.

3368(c).4
No person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraphs (2) and (3) unless the speed recorded is six or more miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. Furthermore, no person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) in an area where the legal speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour if the speed recorded is less than ten miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. This paragraph shall not apply to evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) within a school zone.
Here is a link to see what one person had to go through in a similar situation:

http://travel.3dresearch.com/round1.html

Maestro64

Yes this is true but 8 miles over is not 19, increase in fine and points. I like to pay what I owe, not inflated to fill township’s pockets.:mad:
Actually, 8 over in PA is not speeding and a citation can not be written unless your at least 10 over when the PSL is below 55 in this case.

I responded to your posting on another board.

occharge

What is the name of your state? PA

I received citation stating I was going 69.7 mph in 50 mph zone.
I don’t believe I was going that fast.
Officer used timing device AKA VASCAR.
Citation states that miles timed was .043 and 2.67 secs. Timed.
Being that there are 5280 feet per mile and .o43 of that is 227.04 ft and a time of 2.67 secs calculates out to travel speed of 85.04 feet per second.
Multiply by 60 to convert seconds to minutes equals 5102.02 feet per min.
Multiply again by 60 to convert minutes to feet per hour equals 306121.35 feet per hour.
Then divide by 5280 to convert to mph equals 57.98 mph.
So how can he write I was going 69.7 mph? :confused:
Inflation!?!?!?!

J/K

An easier/shorter calculation:

Q0.043 miles / 2.67 second = 0.01610487 miles/second

0.01610487 miles/second X 60 sec/min = 0.96629213 miles/minute

0.96629213 miles/minute X 60 minutes/ hour = 57.98 miles/hour

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Oddly the magnitude of the ratio in those numbers lend me to believe that someone was working in Kilometers when he thought he was in miles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">