• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Zone "Reckless"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsCaptKirk

What is the name of your state? Loudoun County, Virginia

My husband was pulled over after passing the flashing lights of a school zone. He usually works during those hours and the lights are usually something he would ignore. He was following the speed of traffic and doing the speed limit of the road.

The officer showed him a radar gun that said he was doing 45 in a 25 mph school zone. There were 3 other cars next to him when he was pulled over. He was about 100 meters into the zone and was pointed out the lights. He asked the officer when were lights going to stop and was told that any minute they would. He then asked the officer if it had to be a reckless...obviously, it did.

Now, my husband is afraid he will loose his job. The ticket will be over $3,000. My husband was not trying to drive reckless or speed...he usually drives like a 95 yr old lady going to church. It was a big misunderstanding. HELP!!!

The Occultist

Firstly, other people breaking the law is no legal excuse for your husband to be breaking the law.

Secondly, how is any of this a misunderstanding? Flashing lights are fairly obvious, and your husband chose to ignore them.

If your husband has a clean record, there is a fairly small chance of getting this plead down to a lesser offense.

MrsCaptKirk

I appreciate your rudeness. Take your opinion elsewhere. I was looking for help, not sarcastic "holier than thou" attitude.

Ozark_Sophist

I agree that it was a big misunderstanding.

The flashing lights are on as entertainment devices. Speed limit violations only apply to those who speed all the time--not those who drive like grandmothers most of the time.

FlyingRon

If your husband does drive like a 95 year old lady, hopefully he has a clean record. He may be able to negotiate down to Careless Driving and taking driver's school (which you can complete online provided he is over 20). You'll not get the reckless knocked down to nothing in Loudoun.

Reckless is a serious charge in Virginia (especially in the Northern Virginia counties). I'd seriously consider having him at least speak with an attorney.

The name of this site is FreeAdvice. When you get advice you don't like, it's best to just develop a tougher skin. Being snarky even at our less tactful posters isn't going to get you anywhere.

The Occultist

I appreciate your rudeness. Take your opinion elsewhere. I was looking for help, not sarcastic "holier than thou" attitude.
Whether or not you like the the manner in which I gave you the advice, it was legally accurate. The advice was free, and so was the sarcasm; enjoy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">